It’s National Honeybee Day … it’s Saturday … and I’ve just completed a fully-booked shift at the clinic, so naturally we’re celebrating with this healthier honey-based cocktail. Honey contains vitamins, trace enzymes, amino acids, and minerals like calcium, iron, sodium chlorine, magnesium, phosphate, and potassium. It has also been shown to be beneficial in treating allergies (it’s an antioxidant and contains trace amounts of local pollen), gastrointestinal issues like reflux, pain and constipation, and can help to keep your mind sharp with as little as 1 tbs daily. If you’re not already taking full advantage of the nutritional and medicinal properties of honey you can start with this delicious and easy cocktail.
Honey Bee Buzz
Yield 2 (fairly strong) drinks
Honey Simple Syrup Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup raw honey (preferably local to get those awesome anti-allergy benefits)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbs honey simple syrup
- 3 oz burbon (I recommend you use a decent bourbon for this cocktail (click here for our favourite). Even though honey is absolutely delicious it can't mask the taste of cheap liquor)
- 3 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Sparking water
- Rosemary sprigs to garnish (optional)
- Start by making the honey simple syrup: heat the water and the honey in a saucepan until the honey melts into the water (approximately 5 minutes). Place the solution in a mason jar and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Combine 2 tbs honey simple syrup, bourbon & lemon juice in a cocktail shaker over ice and shake to mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into two short cocktail classes over ice and top with a little sparkling water for that extra 'buzz'. Garnish with rosemary sprigs if you're feeling fancy.
Doctor disclaimer: Yes, I am aware that alcohol doesn’t exactly fall into the “healthy choices” category, but if you’re going to partake (and I know you are) I’d rather you enjoy a cocktail like this one. It contains way less sugar than a traditional margarita or martini and has a few additional health benefits. Cheers!